Re: Why PAGEOUT_IO_SYNC stalls for a long time

From: Mel Gorman
Date: Wed Aug 04 2010 - 07:10:29 EST

On Sun, Aug 01, 2010 at 05:47:08PM +0900, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
> > > side note: page lock contention is very common case.
> > >
> > > For case (8), I don't think sleeping is right way. get_page() is used in really various place of
> > > our kernel. so we can't assume it's only temporary reference count increasing.
> >
> > In what case is a munlocked pages reference count permanently increased and
> > why is this not a memory leak?
>
> V4L, audio, GEM and/or other multimedia driver?

Ok, that is quite likely. Have you made a start on a series related to
lumpy reclaim? I was holding off making a start on such a thing while I
reviewed the other writeback issues and travelling to MM Summit is going
to delay things for me. If you haven't started when I get back, I'll
make some sort of stab at it.

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student Linux Technology Center