RE: e1000e crashes with 2.6.34.x and ThinkPad T60

From: Tantilov, Emil S
Date: Wed Aug 04 2010 - 14:24:00 EST

Marc Haber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 06:33:49PM -0600, Tantilov, Emil S wrote:
>> Marc Haber wrote:
>>> I have a new notebook, a Thinkpad T60, which is freezing in random
>>> intervals (like 30 minutes to two days) as long as I am using the
>>> on-board wired ethernet interface, which is an e1000e, [8086:109a].
>>> As long as I keep using the WLAN, the system runs for weeks despite
>>> frequent suspend/resume cycles etc. The crashes seem really to be
>>> tied to using the wired ethernet. This is a hard freeze, with
>>> nothing happening on the system, only a long push on the power
>>> button helps.
>>
>> When the crashes occur - is there a trace on the screen?
>
> Not that I can see any. I'm working in X11, and the screen simply
> freezes. Mouse doesn't move any more, clock stops. System is not
> pingable, does not react to Ctrl-Alt-Bksp nor to any Magic Sysrq, nor
> does it shut down when I have the power button issue an acpi shutdown
> event.
>
>> Do you know of a way to reproduce the issue? For example were
>> you downloading files, browsing internet, or using the ethernet
>> device in any way when the system crashed?
>
> Sadly, no. I have it happen when typing in a remote ssh session, while
> on the other hand hundreds of megabytes can be downloaded just fine.
> It just happens "at random", two or three times a day. I have resorted
> to using the WLAN instead of the wired ethernet, but that's not a
> long-term solution.
>
>>> Full dmesg and lspci-nn attached, please say if you need more.
>>
>> Doesn't seem that there were any attachments to this email.
>
> I forgot, sorry.
>
>> Could you also provide the kernel config?
>
> Attached as well.

I have a T60 running with 2.6.34.1 using your config and so far no issues.

Looking at your lspci output - your system has a slightly different HW, but I don't know if this is significant.

Are you loading the kernel with any parameters (cat /proc/cmdline)?

Do you have firewall configured (iptables -L)?

Also now that 2.6.35 is out - could you give it a try and see if the situation had improved?

> Greetings
> Marc

Thanks,
Emil

¢éì®&Þ~º&¶¬–+-±éÝ¥Šw®žË±Êâmébžìdz¹Þ)í…æèw*jg¬±¨¶‰šŽŠÝj/êäz¹ÞŠà2ŠÞ¨è­Ú&¢)ß«a¶Úþø®G«éh®æj:+v‰¨Šwè†Ù>Wš±êÞiÛaxPjØm¶Ÿÿà -»+ƒùdš_