Re: Linux 2.6.35

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Aug 04 2010 - 16:15:58 EST

On 08/02/2010 10:31 PM, Donald Parsons wrote:
Using your suggestion as to where the problem lies, I investigated
more deeply and found:

I've now got 2.6.35-rc6-git3 to boot (and almost certainly 2.6.35 final)

Make oldconfig broke at the transition where boot began failed, ie,
between 2.6.34-git4 and 2.6.34-git5. Even though modules are the
same, boot fails. If I use gconfig and set CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y
instead of CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=m it works, except cannot select =y
unless CONFIG_ATA changed from m to y.

So at some point in past, make oldconfig had apparently changed
CONFIG_SATA_AHCI from y to m and system still booted. But between
2.6.34-git4 and 2.6.34-git5 the ability to boot was lost.

So make oldconfig is not 100% trustworthy in this case. I do not
know if this is a problem that should be fixed. Ask if you want
any .config diffs.

The modules are not necessarily the same: "libahci" was introduced in

commit 365cfa1ed5a36f9bcb9f64c9f0f52155af2e9fef