Re: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread

From: david
Date: Wed Aug 04 2010 - 19:54:37 EST

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

On Thursday, August 05, 2010, david@xxxxxxx wrote:

My proposal would never freeze a subset of processes.

what my proposal:

only consider the activity of a subset of processes when deciding if we
should suspend or not. If the decision is to suspend, freeze everything.

That alone doesn't allow you to handle the race Matthew was referring to
(ie. wakeup event happening right after you've decided to suspend).

A mechanism of making a decision alone is not sufficient, you also need a
mechanism to avoid races between wakeup events and suspend process.

I thought you just posted that there was a new feature that would be able to abort the suspend and so that race was closed.

David Lang