Re: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread

From: Florian Mickler
Date: Thu Aug 05 2010 - 01:34:21 EST

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 16:10:03 -0700
"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 03:56:42PM -0700, david@xxxxxxx wrote:

> > >That does not avoid the dependency problem. A process may be waiting
> > >on a resource that a process you ignore owns. I you ignore the process
> > >that owns the resource and enter idle when it is ready to run (or
> > >waiting on a timer), you are still effectively blocking the other
> > >process.
> >
> > and if you don't have a wakelock the same thing will happen. If you
> > expect the process to take a while you can set a timeout to wake up
> > every 30 seconds or so and wait again, this would be enough to
> > prevent you from going to sleep (or am I misunderstanding how long
> > before you go into suspend without a wakelock set, see my other
> > e-mail for the full question)
>
> The difference between the Android scheme and your proposal is that the
> Android scheme freezes -all- the processes, not just a subset of them.
> Therefore, in the Android scheme, the case of one process attempting to
> acquire a resource held by a frozen process. In contrast, any scheme
> that attempts to freeze only a subset of the processes must somehow
> either avoid or properly handle the situation where a frozen process is
> holding a resource that a running process is trying to acquire.
>
> Thanx, Paul

No no. In the David-Lang-CGroup-Scheme[1](tm?) suspend-from-idle
is used. For idle decision a certain subset of tasks is ignored.

Where suspend is prevented by the trusted
process in android-world taking a wakelock, here it would just prevent
the system from going idle by arming timers.

This would be pretty equivalent to the suspend-blocker scheme and not
introduce new userspace api. But the downside is, as Arve pointed out,
that now one can not get full-idle-power-leverage while suspend
is blocked.

[1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1018452 and
following

Cheers,