Re: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread

From: kevin granade
Date: Thu Aug 05 2010 - 14:13:40 EST

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:46 AM, <david@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2010, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

>> [ . . . ]

>>> every system that I have seen has a configurable "sleep if it's idle
>>> for this long" knob. On the iphone (work issue, I didn't want it)
>>> that I am currently using it can be configured from 1 min to 5 min.
>>>
>>> this is the sort of timeout I am talking about.
>>>
>>> with something in the multi-minute range for the 'do a full suspend'
>>> doing a wakeup every few 10s of seconds is perfectly safe.
>>
>> Ah, I was assuming -much- shorter "do full suspend" timeouts.
>>
>> My (possibly incorrect) assumption is based on the complaint that led
>> to my implementing RCU_FAST_NO_HZ.  A (non-Android) embedded person was
>> quite annoyed (to put it mildly) at the earlier version of RCU because
>> it prevented the system from entering the power-saving dyntick-idle mode,
>> not for minutes, or even for seconds, but for a handful of -milliseconds-.
>> This was my first hint that "energy efficiency" means something completely
>> different in embedded systems than it does in the servers that I am
>> used to.
>>
>> But I must defer to the Android guys on this -- who knows, perhaps
>> multi-minute delays to enter full-suspend mode are OK for them.
>
> if the system was looking at all applications I would agree that the timeout
> should be much shorter.
>
> I have a couple devices that are able to have the display usable, even if
> the CPU is asleep (the OLPC and the Kindle, two different display
> technologies). With these devices I would like to see the suspend happen so
> fast that it can suspend between keystrokes.
>
> however, in the case of Android I think the timeouts have to end up being
> _much_ longer. Otherwise you have the problem of loading an untrusted book
> reader app on the device and the device suspends while you are reading the
> page.
>
> currently Android works around this by having a wakelock held whenever the
> display is on. This seems backwards to me, the display should be on because
> the system is not suspended, not the system is prevented from suspending
> because the display is on.
>
> Rather than having the display be on causing a wavelock to be held (with the
> code that is controls the display having a timeout for how long it leaves
> the display on), I would invert this and have the timeout be based on system
> activity, and when it decides the system is not active, turn off the display
> (along with other things as it suspends)

IIRC, this was a major point of their (Android's) power management
policy. User input of any kind would reset the "display active"
timeout, which is the primary thing keeping random untrusted
user-facing programs from being suspended while in use. They seemed
to consider this to be a special case in their policy, but from the
kernel's point of view it is just another suspend blocker being held.

I'm not sure this is the best use case to look at though, because
since it is user-facing, the timeout durations are on a different
scale than the ones they are really worried about. I think another
category of use case that they are worried about is:

(in suspend) -> wakeup due to network -> process network activity -> suspend

or an example that has been mentioned previously:

(in suspend) -> wakeup due to alarm for audio processing -> process
batch of audio -> suspend

In both of these cases, the display may never power on (phone might
beep to indicate txt message or email, audio just keeps playing), so
the magnitude of the "timeout" for suspending again should be very
small. Specifically, they don't want there to be a timeout at all, so
as little time as possible time is spent out of suspend in addition to
the time required to handle the event that caused wakeup.