Re: [GIT] kbuild: kconfig changes

From: Justin P. Mattock
Date: Thu Aug 05 2010 - 22:54:23 EST

On 08/05/2010 07:08 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Justin P. Mattock
<justinmattock@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

With what I submitted I did not test make oldconfig, only make menuconfig
due to gcc 4.6.0 giving me a slew of warnings.
From looking at make oldconfig I do see a more detailed explanation of what
each option is(last I remember it was more of a line with y/n)but then again
you could be seeing something completly different.

Just test what I described: do a "make oldconfig" (do it twice, if
the first one needs to actually get some input). Do it on 2.6.35, and
then on the current tree. Look at the _huge_ difference in output.

yeah I see what your hitting, just experienced what you posted

make oldconfig
scripts/kconfig/conf -o arch/x86/Kconfig
#
# configuration written to .config
#

(just sits there)

seemed to not want to go away.(doing a make menuconfig got
make oldconfig to wake up of whatever it was in) as for reproducing
(even though already bisected) seems once make oldconfig starts working properly, hitting the above doesn't happen as easily.

Now if this is with what I submitted then I'll have a look at it and see if I can get this fixed.

I just did a quick git bisect. It's introduced by commit 4062f1a4c030
("kconfig: use long options in conf") by Sam Ravnborg. Apparently that
thing is totally buggy, and doesn't just change the option names, but
actively breaks them.

Linus

cool..

Justin P. Mattock