Re: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread

From: david
Date: Sat Aug 07 2010 - 06:02:44 EST

On Sat, 7 Aug 2010, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

On Saturday, August 07, 2010, david@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Sat, 7 Aug 2010, Mark Brown wrote:

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 04:35:59PM -0700, david@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
What we want to have happen in an ideal world is

when the storage isn't needed (between reads) the storage should shutdown
to as low a power state as possible.

when the CPU isn't needed (between decoding bursts) the CPU and as much of
the system as possible (potentially including some banks of RAM) should
shutdown to as low a power state as possible.

Unfortunately, the criteria for "not being needed" are not really
straightforward and one of the wakelocks' roles is to work around this issue.

if you can ignore the activity caused by the other "unimportant" processes in the system, why is this much different then just the one process running, in which case standard power management sleeps work pretty well.

today there are two ways of this happening, via the idle approach (on
everything except Android), or via suspend (on Android)

Given that many platforms cannot go to into suspend while still playing
audio, the idle approach is not going to be able to be eliminated (and in
fact will be the most common approach to be used/deugged in terms of the
types of platforms), it seems to me that there may be a significant amount
of value in seeing if there is a way to change Android to use this
approach as well instead of having two different systems competing to do
the same job.

There is a fundamental obstacle to that, though. Namely, the Android
developers say that the idle-based approach doesn't lead to sufficient energy
savings due to periodic timers and "polling applications".

polling applications can be solved by deciding that they aren't going to be allowed to affect the power management decision (don't consider their CPU useage when deciding to go to sleep, don't consider their timers when deciding when to wake back up)

Technically that
boils down to the interrupt sources that remain active in the idle-based case
and that are shut down during suspend. If you found a way to deactivate all of
them from the idle context in a non-racy fashion, that would probably satisfy
the Android's needs too.

well, we already have similar capibility for other peripherals (I keep pointing to drive spin down as an example), the key to avoiding the races seems to be in the drivers supporting this.

the fact that Android is making it possible for suspend to selectivly avoid disabling them makes me think that a lot of the work needed to make this happen has probably been done. look at what would happen in a suspend if it decided to leave everything else on and just disable the one thing, that should e the same thing that happens if you are just disabling that one thing for idle sleep.

David Lang