Re: gpio-addr-flash warnings on x86/highmem (Re: i386 allmodconfig, current mainline)

From: Mike Frysinger
Date: Mon Aug 09 2010 - 20:12:49 EST

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 20:07, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 19:52:35 -0400 Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 19:43, Andrew Morton wrote:
>> > Guys. __What's goin' on out there?
>> >
>> > drivers/mtd/maps/gpio-addr-flash.c: In function 'gpio_flash_probe':
>> > drivers/mtd/maps/gpio-addr-flash.c:212: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
>> > drivers/mtd/maps/gpio-addr-flash.c:224: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
>>
>> i did get a bug report about this in the past, but honestly i havent
>> gotten around to fixing the issues. Âit's been low priority as my
>> understanding is that the warning shows up in configurations where the
>> driver isnt realistically usable. Ânot making excuses, just laying out
>> the reality of things.
>
> Casting a resource_size_t to a kernel pointer is plain naughty.

i agree now, but when i wrote the driver, i wasnt aware of these
subtleties when dealing with highmem

> I guess an acceptable "fix" would be to disable to offending combinations
> in Kconfig and add a
>
> Â Â Â ÂBUILD_BUG_ON(sizeof(gpios->start) != sizeof(void *))
>
> to catch stragglers.

if someone wanted to throw that in now, i wouldnt have a problem with it

> But please do fix warnings, if only because the warning storm from
> allmodconfig causes people to miss important warnings in all the noise.

i try to be proactive with warnings that show up for my arch
(Blackfin), but admittedly i can get a little lazy when i'm not
directly affected

i think i should be able to find time before 2.6.36 to send out a
patch for the issue
-mike