Re: perf build broke by list_head changes...

From: Chris Metcalf
Date: Tue Aug 10 2010 - 08:36:56 EST

On 8/10/2010 2:57 AM, David Miller wrote:
> Commit:
>
> commit de5d9bf6541736dc7ad264d2b5cc99bc1b2ad958
> Author: Chris Metcalf <cmetcalf@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri Jul 2 13:41:14 2010 -0400
>
> Move list types from <linux/list.h> to <linux/types.h>.
>
> broke the build of 'perf'.
>
> If you move "struct list_head" into types.h, this means perf stops
> building because it depends upon being able to include linux/list.h
> from a userland application and at the same time be able to get the
> basic data types without defining __KERNEL__ or similar.

If necessary, it certainly would be easy to move the list.h types to
follow struct ustat, then bump the #endif up above them with a comment
about the perf system's use of them.

I'm confused, though, since <linux/list.h> isn't installed by
headers_install, so how was perf finding that definition before anyway?

I assume the requirement is something fairly stringent, like parsing
binary data structures out of a memory-mapped region or some such;
normally you wouldn't even want to expose the list_head declaration to
user space. I haven't looked at the perf subsystem myself yet so I
don't really know.

--
Chris Metcalf, Tilera Corp.
http://www.tilera.com