Re: [GIT] kbuild: kconfig changes

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Tue Aug 10 2010 - 10:25:30 EST

> > The reason why your patch cured it was that we then no
> > longer triggered the bug (at least I guess so I did not look to close).
> >
> > I will look into this as time permits. I assume the fix is simple
> > when I find the reason.
>
> I'm looking into it now, but understanding the kconfig internals is not
> easy...
Nope...

What I have understood so far...

If we have a choice then the choice is represented by a symbol.
symbol->def[S_DEF_USER] is set to the selected symbol.
If we read all the choice values then we set:
symbol->flags |= SYMBOL_DEF_USER

If we have a choice where we do not have all choice_values
which is the case with the minimal defconfig then the
missing choice_value results in that SYMBOL_DEF_USER
is not set.
[See confdata:conf_read after the sym_ok label]

Later in symbol.c:sym_calc_value the visibility
is set to mod if we do not have all values.

And therefore the coice value is set to m not y.

I will look a bit more at it tonight.

Sam