Re: perf build broke by list_head changes...

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Tue Aug 10 2010 - 10:32:50 EST

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:46:00AM -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
> Em Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 02:44:45PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg escreveu:
> > IMO the patch that moves list_head to types.h is fine.
> > And perf needs to learn good manner with respect to
> > kernel headers.
>
> Idea is to try to have the perf tools, since they are hosted in the
> kernel and developed mostly by people with kernel background, to use
> code and practices used in the kernel proper.
>
> It started just keeping private copies, I guess it should get back to
> that since the reaction to this kind of same source repo code sharing
> was, well, not good :-)
>
> Alternatives?

I have not analyzed deeper in what parts perf uses so the
following may not fly at all.

One solution could be to let perf rely on a set of
exported userspace headers from the kernel.

And on top of this copy a small set of kernel internal
headers for use by perf only.
The copying will be a good way to document what is actually
used of the kernel internal stuff.

But I also realize that just copying over list.h does
not suffice. It pulls in lots of other stuff.
So this is most likely hard to do.

I guess first step is to identify what is really used
beside the exported stuff and start to conclude from there.

Sam