Re: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread, take three

From: Felipe Contreras
Date: Fri Aug 13 2010 - 06:58:21 EST

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Brian Swetland <swetland@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Felipe Contreras
> <felipe.contreras@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Not Ubuntu, not Fedora, not MeeGo, not anyone with a typical
>> user-space seems to be having this problem. I can argue to you that
>> this problem can be solved in easier ways, but instead I will argue
>> that perhaps we should wait for somebody besides Android to complain
>> about it before providing a "solution". Because after all, what good
>> is a "solution" provided by the kernel, if the user-space is not going
>> to use it, ever.
>
> I'm curious, when does Android count as a user of the kernel? ÂI
> gather that volume of sales or users doesn't count. ÂDo we have to
> include some percentage of "desktop" Linux?

You are *one* user of the kernel. Let's suppose Android wasn't using
suspend-blockers, and there was another equally successful linux
mobile platform, Foobingo, and they were using them, and they were the
only ones interested on implementing them.

What does that change? Nothing. They still need to convince the
community that what they are proposing to be merged is actually
useful, and somebody will use it. If not, they can just keep the patch
for themselves until they do. I don't see the big deal.

> If we're an undesirable second-class citizen, why do people care that
> "android is forking the kernel"?

Nobody has expressed anything remotely like that (that you are a
second-class citizen). Why makes you think so? Lots of people get
patches denied. Like Nokia's u_char driver, which is *way* less
controversial than this one.

--
Felipe Contreras