Re: [patch 1/2] x86_64 page fault NMI-safe

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Mon Aug 16 2010 - 07:31:12 EST

On 08/15/2010 09:31 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:

I tested it in the past, and must admit that I changed from a vmalloc-based
implementation to page-based using software cross-page write primitives based on
feedback from Steven and Ingo. Diminishing TLB trashing seemed like a good
approach, and using vmalloc on 32-bit machines is a pain, because users have to
tweak the vmalloc region size at boot. So all in all, I moved to a vmalloc-less
implementation without much more thought.

Forgot to comment about the i386 issue - that really is a blocker if you absolutely need to support large trace buffers on 32-bit machines. I would urge all those people to move to x86_64 and be done with it, but I don't know all the use cases.

It's possible to hack this to work by having a private mm_struct and switching to it temporarily, but it will be horribly slow.