Re: Fwd: Re: [Scst-devel] linuxcon 2010...

From: James Bottomley
Date: Tue Aug 17 2010 - 16:31:08 EST

On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 20:20 +0400, Vladislav Bolkhovitin wrote:
> Hello James,
>
> Could you comment rumors that decision about future Linux SCSI target
> subsystem is done as well as other related rumors:

If this is related to LSF, the notes on the I/O track are here:

http://lwn.net/Articles/400491/

> 1. What don't you like in the transition path for users from STGT to
> SCST, which I proposed:
>
> - The only people which would be affected by replacing of STGT by SCST
> would be users of ibmvstgt. Other STGT users would not notice it at all.
> Thus, we should update ibmvstgt for SCST. If ibmvstgt updated for SCST,
> the update for its users would be just writing of a simple scstadmin's
> config file.
>
> - STGT doesn't have backend drivers, which SCST doesn't have, so
> there's nothing to worry here. At max, AIO support should be added to
> fileio_tgt.
>
> - STGT user space targets can use SCST backend via scst_local module.
> Scst_local module is ready and work very well.
>
> The result would be very clear without any obsolete mess.

So does that get us up to being a drop in replacement? I think you're
saying that even with all of this, at least the VSCSI part will need
updating, so the answer seems to be "no".

> 2. Don't you like something in the sysfs interface SCST has?

I don't think so ... from a cursory glance it looks functional.

> 3. I have heard you said "Vlad wasn't comfortable in handing up the
> control to the maintainers ... (this is how kernel.org works)." I have
> no idea what you meant. I have never been asked about anything like
> that, so I couldn't say anyhow that I'm not comfortable with anything.
> Could you clarify that?
>
> 4. Have you changed your opinion that a driver level multipath is
> forbidden in Linux and now you think that an iSCSI target with MC/S
> support is acceptable?

no; I still think MCS is a pointless duplication of multipath that only
works for iSCSI.

James