Re: [Scst-devel] Fwd: Re: linuxcon 2010...

From: Chetan Loke
Date: Wed Aug 18 2010 - 10:58:29 EST

Hello James and others,

--- On Tue, 8/17/10, James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Scst-devel] Fwd: Re:  linuxcon 2010...
> To: "Vladislav Bolkhovitin" <vst@xxxxxxxx>
> Cc: "scst-devel" <scst-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-scsi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 8:30 PM
> On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 20:20 +0400,
> Vladislav Bolkhovitin wrote:
> > Hello James,
> >
> > Could you comment rumors that decision about future
> Linux SCSI target
> > subsystem is done as well as other related rumors:
>
> If this is related to LSF, the notes on the I/O track are
> here:
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/400491/

During the open panel, my question was really specific -

Q) What is the future of a SCSI-target subsystem in linux. Which
   target engine/subsystem can we expect?

Your answer) There is place for only 1 target-subsystem in the Linux scsi stack and in the LSF summit the decision was taken to merge LIO. Has that
decision changed since the summit?

As a scst-user what I would like to understand is, what was that decision based on? Because the LSF summit was 'small by invitation' only summit. The notes don't give us an insight on the selection criteria/merits etc.

> > 3. I have heard you said "Vlad wasn't comfortable in
> handing up the
> > control to the maintainers ... (this is how kernel.org
> works)." I have
> > no idea what you meant. I have never been asked about
> anything like
> > that, so I couldn't say anyhow that I'm not
> comfortable with anything.
> > Could you clarify that?

3) above is something that I emailed Vlad and the scst community based on our offline conversation after the open panel. If SCST really has licensing issues then I will personally stop using SCST. Since Vlad hasn't
expressed any concerns on the above and neither have you commented on it, is it safe to assume that the licensing requirement is a non-issue?

Chetan Loke