Re: [GIT PULL] notification tree: directory events

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Date: Wed Aug 18 2010 - 11:47:39 EST

Eric,

one more thing that doesn't make sense is events on directories: when watching
a directory, some actions like reading a directory or creat()ing a file in the
directory will generate events (even open_perm and access_perm), but other
actions like hard linking files into the directory or removing files will not
create any events. This means that fanotify currently cannot be used for
watching for directory changes.

In my opinion, events on directories should either be made to actually work,
or else no directory events at all should be generated.

Also, I can think of users of fanotify which are not concerned with directory
events at all. It would make sense to allow such users to subscribe only to
file events and not receive any directory events which they will end up
ignoring anyway.

Again it shows that this code just wasn't ready to be merged yet ...

Andreas