Re: [RFC] mlock/stack guard interaction fixup

From: Ian Campbell
Date: Sun Aug 22 2010 - 02:58:12 EST

On Sat, 2010-08-21 at 08:48 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 4:56 AM, Ian Campbell <ijc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I don't know that they are particularly good tests for this change but I
> > also ran allmodconfig kernel build and ltp on 2.6.35.3+fixes without
> > issue. Are there any good mlock heavy workloads?
>
> mlock itself isn't very interesting, I think more interesting is
> testing that the doubly linked list handles all the cases correctly.
> Something that splits mappings, unmaps partial ones etc etc. Running
> something like Electric Fence is probably a good idea.

EF_DISABLE_BANNER=1 EF_ALLOW_MALLOC_0=1 LD_PRELOAD=libefence.so.0.0 make

craps out pretty quickly with:

CC init/main.o

ElectricFence Exiting: mprotect() failed: Cannot allocate memory
make[1]: *** [init/main.o] Error 255
make: *** [init] Error 2

but it does that with 2.6.35.3, 2.6.35.2, 2.6.35.1 and 2.6.35 too so it
doesn't seem to be breakage relating to any of the stack guard stuff

--
Ian Campbell

Everybody is going somewhere!! It's probably a garage sale or a
disaster Movie!!