Re: [Scst-devel] Fwd: Re: linuxcon 2010...

From: Vladislav Bolkhovitin
Date: Tue Aug 24 2010 - 10:41:39 EST

James Bottomley, on 08/22/2010 12:43 AM wrote:
Interface re-use (or at least ABI compatibility) is the whole point,
it's what makes the solution a drop in replacement.

I see now. You want ABI compatibility to keep the "contract" that no kernel changes can break applications binary compatibility for unlimited time.

OK, we will write the compatibility module. It shouldn't take much time.

But before we start, I'd like to clear 2 related questions:

1. How far the ABI compatibility "contract" goes? Are there cases, where it isn't so strong? I'm asking, because I can recall that open-iscsi at least once has broken ABI compatibility with user space tools. Was it an accidental (but not corrected) mistake or was it deliberate? If the latter, then, I guess, there must be some exceptions defining when ABI compatibility can be not followed.

2. Currently STGT in the kernel is just 2 files, scsi_tgt_if.c and
scsi_tgt_lib.c (with headers), + ibmvstgt driver. The C files define the STGT interface in question. So, if we keep ABI compatibility with the new target engine, we would have to keep those 2 files included in the kernel, which would effectively mean that STGT would stay in the kernel. This would lead to the situation you are trying to avoid: 2 SCSI target infrastructures in the kernel. Would it be OK?

Thanks for (eventually!) defining clear rules and removing confusions!

Vlad