Re: Linux I/O subsystem performance (was: linuxcon 2010...)

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Tue Aug 24 2010 - 10:55:30 EST

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 06:43:29PM +0400, Vladislav Bolkhovitin wrote:
> Also it looks very suspicious why nobody even tried to match that
> Microsoft/Intel record, even Intel itself who closely works with Linux
> community in the storage area and could do it using the same hardware.

You seem to be under the impression that "Intel" is some monolithic
entity. Despite working with six different storage & performance
groups within Intel, I have no idea what record you're referring to,
nor what hardware it was accomplished with. Even if I did, I wouldn't
know which group within Intel to contact to see if they still have
the setup. Then I'd have to convince them that it's in their interest
to try to replicate this on Linux. And I'd have to be prepared to sink
a considerable quantity of my time into it ... which I don't have.

--
Matthew Wilcox Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."