Re: [patch 1/5] mm: add nofail variants of kmalloc kcalloc andkzalloc

From: David Rientjes
Date: Wed Aug 25 2010 - 20:30:59 EST

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Ted Ts'o wrote:

> > I'll repropose the patchset with __deprecated as you suggested. Thanks!
>
> And what Dave and I are saying is that we'll either need to do our on
> loop to avoid the deprecation warning, or the use of the deprecated
> function will probably be used forever...

We certainly hope that nobody will reimplement the same function without
the __deprecated warning, especially for order < PAGE_ALLOC_COSTLY_ORDER
where there's no looping at a higher level. So perhaps the best
alternative is to implement the same _nofail() functions but do a
WARN_ON(get_order(size) > PAGE_ALLOC_COSTLY_ORDER) instead?

I think it's really sad that the caller can't know what the upper bounds
of its memory requirement are ahead of time or at least be able to
implement a memory freeing function when kmalloc() returns NULL.