Re: Which kernel.org WWW is the master server?

From: Piotr Hosowicz
Date: Thu Aug 26 2010 - 11:20:26 EST

On 26.08.2010 17:10, Arnd Hannemann wrote:
Am 26.08.2010 15:37, schrieb Jiri Kosina:
On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, Piotr Hosowicz wrote:

I wrote a simple python script that tells me that a new kernel version
appeared. The problem is that it is based exactly on this what appears on the
webpage so sometimes it resolves the server IP that the version has changed,
despite the fact that it is not true. Which server is the master server?

I guess that simply running

finger @kernel.org

will give you exactly the information you are looking for which much less
pain of connecting to www server, parsing html, etc.

Not sure if this is still accurate:

Aug 21, 2003: Please don't use *finger.kernel.org* for any sort of
automatic monitoring. The number of automatic bots hitting this port
is causing the finger daemon to shut down more often than not. The
same information is available from
http://www.kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner
<http://kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner>.

Moreover it is written as the above.

Regards,

Piotr Hosowicz

--
"Bardzo fajna firma, tylko czasami nie płaci. Do jej głównych
zalet należą: ekspres ciśnieniowy (ale tylko na jednym z pię-