Re: [KVM timekeeping 13/35] Perform hardware_enable in CPU_STARTINGcallback

From: Zachary Amsden
Date: Fri Aug 27 2010 - 19:44:16 EST

On 08/27/2010 06:32 AM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
Zachary Amsden wrote:
The CPU_STARTING callback was added upstream with the intention
of being used for KVM, specifically for the hardware enablement
that must be done before we can run in hardware virt. It had
bugs on the x86_64 architecture at the time, where it was called
after CPU_ONLINE. The arches have since merged and the bug is
gone.
What bugs are you referring to, or since which kernel version is
CPU_STARTING usable for KVM? I need to encode this into kvm-kmod.

Prior to the x86_64 / i386 merge, CPU_STARTING didn't work the same way / exist in the x86_64 code... most of this is historical guesswork. At some point, the 32/64 versions of the code in smpboot.c got merged and now it does.

Binary searching around my tree shows this timeframe:

2.6.11? - 2.6.23 : silver age ; i386 and x86_64 merge underway

2.6.24 : bronze age ; i386 and x86_64 deprecated

2.6.26 : iron age; smpboot_32.c / smpboot_64.c merge
\
2.6.28 : CPU_STARTING exists and first used

/me scratches head wondering how this affects operation on older kernels....