Re: System time drifts when processor idle.

From: jean-philippe francois
Date: Sat Aug 28 2010 - 08:45:37 EST

2010/8/28 john stultz <johnstul@xxxxxxxxxx>:

>> > Huh. hpet was not what I would have expected.
>> >

>> > So first, two experiments:
>> >
>> > 1) Does booting with "clock=acpi_pm" cause the issue to disappear?

Yes, the problem usually show up quite quickly, and I think I have let
my script run
for a long enough time to say it does not occur with clock=acpi_pm

>> > 2) Does booting with "nohz=off" cause the issue to disappear?

Not tested yet.

> jean-philippe: Is the drift always in 5 minute increments? Can you leave
> it idle for 3 minutes and see a similar 3 minute delay, or is it always
> in units of 5 ?

That is interesting !
I think I have always seen 5 minutes or multiples of this delay. I
will try to leave it running for a longer
period of time and come back to you with more results. If you look at
the first message of this thread
(on linux-acpi) the delay is first 5, then 10 minutes.

Thank you for your interest.

Jean-Philippe