Proposals sought for the last set of kernel summit seats

From: Jonathan Corbet
Date: Sun Aug 29 2010 - 11:52:00 EST

As you may have heard, the kernel summit program committee has sent out
the first rounds of invitations. We have not yet filled all of the
slots, though, and, as an experiment, we would like to try a different
approach with some or all of the remaining invitations we have to send
out. If you would like to attend the kernel summit, and you have not
yet received an invitation, please read on.

As has already been noted on the discussion list, the process of
choosing participants for the kernel summit has gotten harder over the
years as our community has grown. At this point, we simply cannot
extend invitations to all of the developers who, by virtue of their
work over the last year, can be said to have earned a place at the
summit. So we must make hard decisions based on the topics we think
will be discussed and our sense of who will participate usefully in
those discussions.

This year, we would like to make it easier for interested developers to
make their own case for an invitation to the summit. This case should
take the form of a proposal for a topic to be discussed, along with a
description of what the person making the proposal could bring to the
discussion. The place for proposal submissions is:

http://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/2010/ocw/events/KS10/proposals

Please remember that the kernel summit is attended by developers working
all over the tree, so proposed topics should be of interest to the
development community as a whole. The kernel summit is also interested
in discussions, not presentations, so it is best to not think in terms
of getting the group interested enough to talk about the topic instead
of lecturing to them.

Proposals (which will be publicly visible on the site) should be made by
September 5 to allow the committee to consider them in a timely manner.

Thanks,
The 2010 kernel summit program committee