Re: [RFC 0/5] tty: move stuff around

From: Greg KH
Date: Mon Aug 30 2010 - 16:00:10 EST

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 11:06:30PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> After fighting with the BKL removal in tty, I realized that the
> files in drivers/char could use a reorganization to split the
> tty files from those drivers that have nothing to do with ttys.

<snip>

I like the idea, and after you've worked out with Alan which ones should
be "deleted" and others moved around, I'll be glad to apply these types
of patches.

Oh, we shouldn't just delete the drivers, we can move them to
drivers/staging/ where they will then be removed after 2 kernel releases
if no one steps up to fix/maintain them. That's the "proper" way to
depreciate a driver.

> Of course, moving stuff around always has the tendency to
> break patches against it, so we might not want to do this after
> all.

Nah, it's no problem to this, git can handle renames just fine :)

thanks,

greg k-h