Re: [Question] How to test (DRAM) memory location.

From: Calvin Walton
Date: Mon Aug 30 2010 - 20:58:01 EST

On Sat, 2010-08-28 at 16:57 +0530, santosh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to write a memory diagnosis program which will test each and
> every location of SDRAM
> to know whether its working properly or a bad location
>
> What would be the best approach ??

If you can, it's best to just use code other people have already
written :)

If you can reboot the computer to test the memory, Memtest86+ is a
well-known and very reliable tool which does just what you ask. You can
obtain it from http://www.memtest.org/

There's some work done on an in-kernel memory tester, but testing memory
while Linux is running is somewhat limited as there are sections of
memory that you can't overwrite during testing. Take a look at
CONFIG_MEMTEST and arch/x86/mm/memtest.c (which is currently only
capable of testing memory in early boot).

--
Calvin Walton <calvin.walton@xxxxxxxxx>