Re: selinux vs devtmpfs (vs udev)

From: Daniel J Walsh
Date: Tue Aug 31 2010 - 11:22:11 EST

On 08/31/2010 11:16 AM, Eric Paris wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 10:57 -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> How does udev get notification of add and change events? add vs change
> seems like the best medium term solution.
>
> Short term checking for the 'default' and resetting if it is default
> seems like a reasonable solution. But of course determining that default
> is not as easy as you might like.
>
> Dan has suggested 2 heuristics.
>
> 1) do not change if the MLS component is not ":s0"
> - this is a terrible hack. don't do it.
> 2) only change if the label is the same as the parent
> - this is a lot better, but I'd still a heuristic of the next one
>
> I suggest a third options: Calculate the default at startup and on every
> policy load and fix object labels if they are the default. I'm sure Dan
> knows a code example of how to do the calculation. The pseudocode looks
> something like:

> lookup the label on /dev
> lookup the label on the initial task
> ask the kernel what the resulting label on a file transition with those
> two pieces of information will be.

NOOOOO

libvirt is going in and changing fixed_disk_device_t:s0 to svirt_t:c0,c124

We do not want udev to see this and ask what label a device should have
if libvirtd_t created a chr_file in device_t.

> It's sad to write all this code when I know the answer 99.9999999999% of
> the time already, but if we are going to do it right.......
>
> -Eric

I think either figure out if the device is newly created versus modified
or check the parent directory.