Re: [Question] How to test (DRAM) memory location.

From: Calvin Walton
Date: Tue Aug 31 2010 - 20:59:40 EST

On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 18:07 +0530, santosh wrote:
> hi Calvin,
>
> > There's some work done on an in-kernel memory tester, but testing memory
> > while Linux is running is somewhat limited as there are sections of
> > memory that you can't overwrite during testing. Take a look at
> > CONFIG_MEMTEST and arch/x86/mm/memtest.c (which is currently only
> > capable of testing memory in early boot).
> >

> I was just looking at "linux-source-2.6.27.48" but could not find
> "memtest.c" at the location you mentioned above:
>
> [root@localhost linux-2.6.27.48]# cd arch/x86/mm/

This code was moved fairly recently, although I don't remember exactly
when. In the kernel version you have, it should be present in
arch/x86/mm/init_64.c
(and is only available on the 64-bit x86 architecture).

Please check a newer kernel if you can, there's been some improvements
since.

--
Calvin Walton <calvin.walton@xxxxxxxxx>