Re: [UIO] SMX UIO interface

From: Ben Nizette
Date: Wed Sep 01 2010 - 19:43:48 EST

On 01/09/2010, at 5:22 PM, Armin Steinhoff wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> I have a question about the SMX UIO Interface.
>
> In the SMX module you are reading the data of the platform resourses:
>
> regs = platform_get_resource(dev, IORESOURCE_MEM, 0);
> if (!regs) {
> dev_err(&dev->dev, "No memory resource specified\n");
> goto out_free;
> }
>
> But who sets these data initially ?

Who ever sets up the platform device that will bind to this driver, usually the board code (eg on avr32 arch/avr32/boards/*/setup.c, ARM is somewhere under arch/arm/mach-*/ I think).

The board code would create an array of struct resource with the appropriate memory regions and an IRQ entry, create a struct platform_device with the right content to bind to that driver, set the platform_device .resource field to the previously created array then call platform_device_register() to kick things off.

--Ben.