Re: [Scst-devel] Fwd: Re: linuxcon 2010...

From: Nicholas A. Bellinger
Date: Sun Sep 05 2010 - 20:04:04 EST

On Sun, 2010-09-05 at 16:41 -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 05, 2010 at 02:50:47PM -0700, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> > Anyways, if we are going to compare SCM distributed vs. centralized
> > workflow in terms of kernel projects, lets please at least compare
> > apples to apples here.
> >

> No, we should not be comparing SCMs at all here but rather 2 competing
> implementations based on quality of the code. You tried to bring SMC
> angle in and I am saying that it is BS.

Again, without getting into another pointless flamewar, I think the
main point here is that a open source project using a distributed
workflow (like git) has major advantages when it comes to working with a
larger group of developers than a centralized model (like SVN) does.

Because being a subsystem maintainer typically involves this type of
complex workflow involving lots of different parties, git is a tool that
was created (originally) expressely for a kernel workflow, and for those
types of people it works really, really well.

So, please understand that code and project workflow is only one of the
reasons why TCM/LIO v4 was selected over SCST. I invite you to take a
closer look at the RFC Code that has been posted last week if you want
to get into the nitty-gritty techinical details, which this thread has
thus far been avoiding.

Best,

--nab