Re: disabling group leader perf_event

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Mon Sep 06 2010 - 13:52:03 EST

On 09/06/2010 06:48 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
No, I want the ability to terminate the code at any time and clean up
any resources used. We have exactly the same requirements for ordinary
userspace.
So you intend to prevent its use at any point where we have a kernel only
resource held in any way manner or form ? Remember we don't hold locks or
many kinds of kernel resource across syscalls.

I don't think we can allow the downloaded code to hold any kernel locks. If the locks are necessary for correct operation, then the untrusted code can "forget" to take them. If they aren't necessary, don't expose them in the first place. All APIs exposed to the code have to be thread safe. We can allow locks that only protect user data structures (and so we can just wipe them out if we need to kill the code, just like with futexes[1]).

Other resources are easy, we do this everywhere, including for userspace.

Likewise I'm interested
how you will keep it compatible with real time ?

It's just like other executing any user code. Whatever thread executes that code is impacted by its real time characteristics. If a non-realtime thread executes it, who cares. If a real time thread executes it, then it's up to the user to guarantee real time behaviour. The kernel need only ensure that user code given by a low-priority task is not executed in a high priority task.

So you do want to jit?
Depends what you mean by jit. JIT normally implies compiling/recompiling
as you go. Do we want to compile it once at load time - probably,
assuming the tool is present.

That's jit enough for me. These would usually be small code snippets, not megabytes of junk, though that would no doubt follow if we do a good job.

We could probably s/netfilter/call to user code/ and remove tons of potentially vulnerable kernel code, and gain lots of flexibility into the bargain. I'd like to use this for kvm as well.

[1] Ignoring robust futexes, IIUC

signature is too narrow to contain.