Re: Promoting Crusoe and Geode Processors to i686 Status

From: Nick Lowe
Date: Tue Sep 07 2010 - 20:27:58 EST

Two further questions...

1) Is there a benefit to keeping a CONFIG_MGEODEGX1 and
CONFIG_MGEODE_LX when we have a situation where i686
CONFIG_X86_GENERIC builds work?

# Geode GX1 support
cflags-$(CONFIG_MGEODEGX1) += -march=pentium-mmx
cflags-$(CONFIG_MGEODE_LX) += $(call
cc-option,-march=geode,-march=pentium-mmx)

2) Should there be the special case that forces the suboptimal
-mtune=generic32 to work around the binutils NOPL bug or, as I think,
should people just update to a sane binutils version? (It's a special
case triggered where CONFIG_X86_P6_NOP is not set.)

# Bug fix for binutils: this option is required in order to keep
# binutils from generating NOPL instructions against our will.
ifneq ($(CONFIG_X86_P6_NOP),y)
cflags-y += $(call
cc-option,-Wa$(comma)-mtune=generic32,)
endif