Re: Help decoding oom-killer output

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed Sep 08 2010 - 09:30:25 EST

Aaron Sowry <aaron@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> After running in to problems with the amount of vmalloc memory on a SLED
> 11 SP1 system (due to a large number of ncp mounts), we have increased
> this with the kernel parameter 'vmalloc=512M'.

This means the 32bit kernel has only about 400MB low mem virtual
address space left, large parts of it being used by the mem_map
arrays. So whole kernel has to run in 100-200MB or so which
is likely not enough.

> Since this change, oom-killer seems to think we are running out of
> memory,

Yes you will run out of address space all the time for kernel
operations.

Real fix is to use 64bit instead. 32bit is so 90ies.

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.