Re: [RFC trollpatch 1/1] genirq: Remove the fits all and nothing__do_IRQ() code

From: James Bottomley
Date: Wed Sep 08 2010 - 14:52:09 EST

On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 18:14 +0000, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> plain text document attachment (genirq-troll-patch.patch)
> __do_IRQ() has been deprecated after a two years migration phase in
> commit 0e57aa1. Since then another 18 month have gone by.
>
> So here's the status three and a half years after the flow based
> infrastructure was merged:
>
> The following architectures are fully converted to the new flow
> handler code:
>
> arm, avr32, blackfin, frv, microblaze, mips, mn10300, powerpc, score, sh,
> sparc 64bit, tile, x86, xtensa
>
> (avr32 and xtensa should set CONFIG_GENERIC_HARDIRQS_NO__DO_IRQ
> though)
>
> The following architectures are not using the generic interrupt
> infrastructure at all and are therefor unaffected:
>
> s390, m68k, sparc 32bit
>
> The following architectures are still using __do_IRQ():
>
> alpha, cris, ia64, h8300, m32r, m68knommu, parisc, um
>
> So now the question arises what to do with __do_IRQ().
>
> Removing it would be the right thing, but that'll break 8 archs, so
> it's probably not considered a good idea, though for most of them the
> conversion should be reasonably trivial.
>
> I'm happy to move that code into kernel/irq/cruft.c forever if there
> is no way to get the remaining users converted in the forseeable
> future. It looks like they can cope with the annoying build warning
> nicely.

Well, if you're going to deprecate something that 8 architectures rely
on, it would be nice to tell people ... or even just linux-arch ... most
of us do read that. I've actually never noticed the warning the commit
activated in any of my parisc compiles for some reason.

> Either that or moving everything what breaks into staging/arch/* and
> hand it over to GregKH :)
>
> Thoughts ?

We could move x86 into staging while it tries out the replacement ...

James