Re: 2.6.35.*: horrible (exponential? >linear) slowdown to unusability (ACPI idle?)

From: Nix
Date: Wed Sep 08 2010 - 18:25:33 EST

On 8 Sep 2010, John Drescher spake thusly:
> I believe I have the same problem reported in your first post. Or at
> least a lot of the symptoms.
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-842775-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-0.html

Yeah, that looks mostly the same, though when I see it with
CONFIG_NO_HZ, I get an increasing slowdown to unusability, not instant
sloth as you do. (The WD GreenPower thing is a complete red herring, of
course: if that was the cause of the sloth, it would be slow in other
kernels too. I see this both on machines with -- non-buggy --
GreenPowers behind an Areca RAID array, and on machines with totally
different brands of drives. ToI is likewise a complete red herring.)