Re: [RFC patch 1/2] sched: dynamically adapt granularity withnr_running

From: Mike Galbraith
Date: Mon Sep 13 2010 - 00:12:45 EST

On Sun, 2010-09-12 at 14:16 -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> * Mike Galbraith (efault@xxxxxx) wrote:

> > > I tried your patches on a similar UP system, using wakeup-latency.c. I
> > > also measured the vanilla upstream kernel (cced86a) with the default
> > > granularity settings, and also vanilla with a sched_min_granularity/3
> > > tune (patch attached below for that).
> > >
> > > I got the following results (make -j10 kbuild load, average of 3 runs):
> > >
> > > vanilla:
> > >
> > > maximum latency: 38278.9 Âs
> > > average latency: 7730.1 Âs
> > >
> > > mathieu-dyn:
> > >
> > > maximum latency: 28698.8 Âs
> > > average latency: 7757.1 Âs
> > >
> > > peterz-min_gran/3:
> > >
> > > maximum latency: 22702.1 Âs
> > > average latency: 6684.8 Âs
> >
> > One thing that springs to mind with make is that it does vfork, so kinda
> > sorta continues running in drag, so shouldn't get credit for sleeping,
> > as that introduces bogus spread. Post vfork parent notification time
> > adjustment may suffice, think I'll try that.
>
> Hrm, I might be misunderstanding what you are saying here, but when a new
> process/thread is forked and woken up, we fall in the "initial" case of
> place_entity, so we increase the vruntime of a whole slice rather than getting
> credit for sleeping.
>
> Or am I missing your point ?

Yes and no. I'm pondering the parent, but by the same token, the vfork
child shouldn't be penalized either.

Does your latency go down drastically if you turn START_DEBIT off?
Seems like it should. Perhaps START_DEBIT should not start a task
further right than rightmost. I've done that before.

maximum latency: 19221.5 Âs
average latency: 5159.0 Âs
missed timer events: 0

maximum latency: 43901.0 Âs
average latency: 8430.1 Âs
missed timer events: 0

Turning it off here cut latency roughly in half (i've piddled vfork
though, but not completely). Limiting child placement to no further
right than rightmost should help quite a bit.

-Mike