Any SYSRQ key to force mode switch to console mode when using KMS?

From: Uwe Bonnes
Date: Wed Sep 15 2010 - 13:45:44 EST

Hello,

is there any SYSRQ key that forces the video system to console mode,
especially when using KMS and allows to work on.

Since going to KMS on a Thinkpad R50 with ATI Radeon RV250 via going from
Opensuse-11.2 to Opensuse-11.3 I experience frequent situations where I am
left with a black screen, with only ALT-SYSREQ-C switching the screen back
on and hard reboot as only chance to escape that situation.

Situations that result in a black screen are:

* Going with the mouse over the NOSCRIPT buttom in firefox. Load goes up and
screen goes black after some seconds. xorg.log ends with "Backtrace", but no
backtrace output...

* Calling pm-hibernate on a system that has hibernated before. First
pm-hibernate/wake-up-per power buttom sequence is successfull.

Disabling KMS results in very slow "kaffeine" full screen output...

pm-hibernate and firefox/noscript worked pre-KMS on opensuse-11.2.

Some traces of other people hitting the NOSCRIPT xorg crash and others
hitting the black unresponsive screen with KMS on RV250 are
found on the net, but I didn't find a conclusive resolution.

Opensuse default kernel and the recent Opensuse 2.6.36-rc3 kernel-of-the day
were tested with no difference

Thanks

PS: I only follow linux-kernel via gmane.org, so if you need fast feedback,
please CC me.
--
Uwe Bonnes bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt