Re: [KVM timekeeping 10/35] Fix deep C-state TSC desynchronization

From: Zachary Amsden
Date: Fri Sep 17 2010 - 18:10:21 EST

On 09/15/2010 08:27 AM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
Am 15.09.2010 14:32, Glauber Costa wrote:
On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:09:33AM +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
In any case, I'll proceed with the forcing of unstable TSC and HPET
clocksource and see what happens.
I tried that before, but it did not trigger the issue that kvm-clock
guests no longer boot properly. This only happens if the TSC is marked
unstable.
even artificially marked unstable ?

Yes. As soon as I hack tsc_unstable to 1, things go wrong. When I hack
it back to 0, guest that wants kvm-clock boots again and seem to run fine.

This is issue #2, I guess. Issue #2 remains that the TSC is marked
unstable. I have the feeling that this is bogus, maybe due to lacking
suspend/resume awareness? The tsc clocksource does

clocksource_tsc.cycle_last = 0;

on resume...

Jan

I have now reproduced this exactly. Shouldn't be long before I have a solution.

Zach