dm-crypt and huge performance penalty

From: Dmitry Nezhevenko
Date: Mon Sep 20 2010 - 19:17:46 EST

Hi,

I've just purchased three HDD drives and tried to setup mdadm RAID5 +
dm-crypt.

What I've found is that dm-crypt reduces storage I/O performance very much
while CPU is not bottleneck.

Firstly I've tried to setup raid5 and then dm-crypt on top of it. After
discovering issue I've tried just raid5 and confirmed that mdadm itself
works as expected.

And the last idea is to setup three dm-crypt partitions and then raid5 on
top of independently encrypted drives.

So here are my results:

| mdadm | mdadm+dm-crypt | 3 x dm-crypt + mdadm |
Seq. read | 168 Mb/s | 57 Mb/s | 119 Mb/s |
Seq. write | 80 Mb/s | 36 Mb/s | 64.4 Mb/s |

Also here are some results using both dd and bonnie as benchmark:
http://pastebin.com/hwwkRRTd

I'm using 3 x WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 HDD. SATA controller is just embedded to
m/b:

00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 4
port SATA IDE Controller (rev 06)
00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 2
port SATA IDE Controller (rev 06)

dd tests were done using simple dd:
if=/dev/resulting-device of=/dev/zero bs=1m count=512

For Bonnie I've used 50GB reiserfs3 partition on top of resulting device.

Are these numbers expected? They looks really strange for me.

--
WBR, Dmitry