Re: RFC: get_maintainer.pl: append reason for cc to the name bydefault

From: Florian Mickler
Date: Mon Sep 27 2010 - 15:26:57 EST

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 14:21:24 -0400
Ted Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> (I've argued for not even trying, but clearly
> people who have tried to argue for that have lost that battle; enough
> people seem to think it's worth while to make wild guesses even though
> the script is called get_maintainer.pl, and not
> get_maintainer_or_make_wild_stabs_in_the_dark.pl.)
>
> - Ted

Actually, I think get_maintainer_or_make_wild_stabs_in_the_dark.pl is
a better strategy to ensure that a patch doesn't get ignored then
to ... well.. do nothing.

> P.S. Wouldn't it be better to train kernel newbies how to read
> through the output of git log themselves? I'm not sure that training
> people to rely blindly on dumb scripts is in the end actually going to
> be doing ourselves and the whole community a service. Sigh....

Yes and no. Reaching out to people is something kernel newbies
need to learn too...
I'd agree if the end result of get_maintainer.pl would be to send it to
random machines... but we actually give out
addresses of human beings, so I don't think it is _that_ bad an idea.

But we should definitely try to tune down the annoying part of
it by making it less random and maybe by adding a tag in the cc field...