Re: HDMI open source to handle audio/video/CEC in one driver

From: Guennadi Liakhovetski
Date: Tue Sep 28 2010 - 19:29:39 EST

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Raymond Liu wrote:

> Hi Ben and Guennadi,
>
> Really appreciate your inputs.
>
> For temporarily short term purpose (we already had a driver but it did
> not fit into any of these you mentioned), what is the process we
> should follow to make it an "open source"?

Sorry, do not understand: if it didn't fit into any of these categories,
what is it like? In any case, general instructions you find in the
following files in your Linux kernel sources directory:

Documentation/SubmitChecklist
Documentation/SubmittingPatches
Documentation/SubmittingDrivers
Documentation/CodingStyle

I know, it might seem a lot, but take a bit of time to look through them,
not everything will be 100% relevant to each specific case, but do follow
Documentation/CodingStyle and choose a suitable mailing list for your
posts - this list (LKML) is too gneric for your questions, that's why
you're getting so few to-the-topic replies.

And I'm not sure what you mean by "temporarily short term purpose." As
soon as your driver gets into the kernel, it is better, if it is designed
to stay there for a longer time. It might not be perfect from the very
first version, its functionality might be restricted, but for that little,
that it does, it should already adhere to the kernel standards. You might
also consider adding your driver under drivers/staging - if you're unable
to follow the guidelines and want to give your driver more exposure to
gradually fix it.

Thanks
Guennadi
---