Re: [RFC] Online firmware upgrade in non-embedded systems

From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
Date: Wed Sep 29 2010 - 09:44:09 EST

On 29.09.2010 15:10, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 14:45 +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I'm looking for a clean solution, not a hack.
>>>

>> What would qualify as a clean solution?
>>

> One where hardware access is mediated by the kernel, and doesn't involve
> unloading or potentially conflicting with the driver for that hardware.

flashrom can ask the kernel driver to "please stop accessing flash". No
unloading needed, no conflict in place.

>> And is cross-platform code one of your goals?
>>

> Not at this level. At the application level, yes, but we already have a
> working application so I'm not interested in using flashrom for that.

I see. Just because I'm interested in how other flashing applications
solve this: Does that application work on *BSD as well? And could you
tell me the name of the app so I can take a look at it? Thanks.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/