interpreting semantics of ipc system call

From: Andreas Saebjoernsen
Date: Wed Sep 29 2010 - 18:03:22 EST

We are developing a simulator that can simulate any specimen x86 linux program.
Our simulator has a simulated memory, unlike the concrete memory state of
tools like Valgrind, so that we can do concrete symbolic execution. Instead of
reimplementing the system calls we marshal the system calls called by
the specimen.

I am currently working on marshaling calls to the ipc system call (system
call 117) which has the following signature

int ipc(unsigned int call, int first, int second, int third, void
*ptr, long fifth)

I have a problem interpreting what the size is of the data structure
pointed to by
the 'void*', and I have been unable to locate good documentation or code on the
semantics of this system call.

Could you please help me interpret the size of the data structure
pointed to by the
'void*' or point me to documentation/code for the ipc system call?

kind regards,
Andreas