Re: [E1000-devel] Something wrong with tx/rx/sg/gso with dhclientetc (Was: Linux 2.6.35.6/e1000e does not receive replies from DHCP server,2.6.33 works)

From: Sami Farin
Date: Thu Sep 30 2010 - 05:44:26 EST

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 17:40:08 -0600, Tantilov, Emil S wrote:
> Sami Farin wrote:
> > False alarm, 2.6.35.6+latest git e1000e does not work any better.
> > I was just lucky.
>
> Is your `latest git` from Linus or net-next tree?

Linus.

>All of our latest patches go into net-next, so if you haven't already - give it a try and see if it resolves your issue.

Maybe later =)

> > One thing what was common, when it works, I get this line a little
> > time before dhclient start working:
> >
> > eth0: IPv6 duplicate address fe80::219:d1ff:fe00:5f01 detected!
>
> I have a system with the same device ID (it is not the same board) and could not reproduce any issues with DHCP on 2.6.35.6 kernel.

Okay, thanks for trying.

> Aside from checking the latest net-next tree, there are some other things to look into:
>
> 1. Is AMT enabled - there is usually a manageability tab/option in the BIOS. If you have that option try enabling/disabling it and see if it makes a difference.

I believe I haven't used AMT, but I check that option.

> 2. Make sure your BIOS is up to date.

Latest .ISO update which worked was CO6079P from Aug 2008, maybe I can
get the USB boot to work..

> If any of the above does not help your situation please file a bug at e1000.sf.net and include the following information:

I find it odd I stop seeing the reply packets just like that..
Can this be e1000e bug/feature or something else?
For example, I did "make oldconfig" in net-next, and:

----------------
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_CHECKSUM:

This option adds a `CHECKSUM' target, which can be used in the iptables mangle table.

You can use this target to compute and fill in the checksum in
a packet that lacks a checksum. This is particularly useful,
if you need to work around old applications such as dhcp clients, <<=== here
that do not work well with checksum offloads, but don't want to disable
checksum offload in your device.
----------------

But not even tcpdump sees the packets.. shouldn't it see them despite
rx/tx settings? What could be eating the packets?

FYI, I just played with "rx off tx off sg off gso off" and
"rx on tx on sg on gso on", when the options were all on, I could not
even get ARP reply from my router! Two seconds after I turned them off,
all start working. Also dhclient workedânow that I triedâwith all off.
I believe there is something fishy in rx, tx, sg and/or gso features,
which worked in 2.6.33 AFAICT. Am I sounding ambigue? ;)

--
Do what you love because life is too short for anything else.