Re: gas 2.16 and assembly macros -- entry_64.S build failure

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Fri Oct 01 2010 - 13:22:36 EST

On 10/01/2010 08:46 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:

> Perhaps a misunderstanding? I meant to move the % back into
> movq_cfi's arguments, out of the macro body. pushq_cfi already
> is in the shape we need for having the option of using cpp macros
> when !CONFIG_AS_CFI.

Hm... I guess I'm not quite following. I don't really see how that
would help with movq_cfi, though?

>>> The other alternative, albeit disliked by Ingo, continues to be to use
>>> __stringify() on all non-trivial operands, which then wouldn't require
>>> suppressing CONFIG_AS_CFI for pre-2.17 binutils.
>>
>> You should be taken out and shot for even thinking that, never mind
>> putting it in writing...
>
> Thank you!

Just in case the intended sarcasm didn't read... I was of course joking,
although in all seriousness the __stringify() truly is
stick-your-eyes-out ugly and is just begging for future problems. It
really isn't an option.

-hpa