Re: PROBLEM: Unusually high load average when idle in 2.6.35, 2.6.35.1 and later

From: tmhikaru
Date: Sun Oct 03 2010 - 13:18:37 EST

I screwed up and sent this incorrectly to only Peter originally, resent to
everyone else too.

On Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 02:04:38PM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-10-03 at 12:12 +0200, Florian Mickler wrote:
> > On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 10:41:08 +0200
> > Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Chase, anything you can see broken with this stuff?
> >
> > Peter, do you think it would be worthwile to test a kernel with the
> > low load-averages in NOHZ=disable mode? The bisected commit claims to
> > fix a NOHZ issue with the load average. So if the new figures are the
> > correct ones, they should be somehow similar to the figures before
> > with NOHZ? Or am I on the wrong track here?
>
> No, that makes sense, but there is of course the distinct possibility
> that the patch wrecked the !nohz path as well. So ideally you'd have to
> compare NOHZ=n with this patch reverted and NOHZ=y with this patch in
> place.

That'd be easy for me to do if you want. given I use CONFIG_NO_HZ=y
in my kernel .config, that's tested the 'patch already in place' path right?
I'll try setting up a kernel build with CONFIG_NO_HZ=n if that's what you
want me to test. I unfortunately am not entirely sure if that's what I need
to alter though, so please get back to me and let me know so I can test it.

Tim McGrath