Re: [RFC 0/3] Basic support for LWP

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Mon Oct 04 2010 - 18:15:08 EST

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010, Hans Rosenfeld wrote:

> LWP (Light-Weight Profiling) is a new profiling mechanism that allows
> user mode processes to gather performance data about themselves with
> very low overhead. The specification can be found here:
> http://developer.amd.com/cpu/LWP/Pages/default.aspx

All I can see there is marketing blurb. The spec pdf does not tell me
either how the end result of your patches will look like.

> This code adds basic support for LWP to the context switch code, which
> is the minimum needed to use LWP. Support for other LWP features like
> interrupts will be added later.

Oh no. We are not going to merge that and give you a card blanche to
come up with another profiling/performance monitoring facility which
is completely disconnected to everything else.

Please provide either the full patch of this facility or at least a
reasonable explanation how it will look like when your code is
ready. What's the user space interface, how does it hook into perf,
etc ...

Thanks,

tglx