System freeze on shutdown - bisected to commit 29d08b3efddc

From: Marc Dionne
Date: Tue Oct 05 2010 - 18:24:55 EST

Hi,

My system has been crashing these past few days when issuing "reboot"
or hitting the Shut Down button in gnome. I get a series of stack
traces scrolling on the console before things freeze up completely.
The traces that I do see at the end point to kmem_cache_alloc called
from get_empty_filp, but there are typically various other traces
above it.

It is easily reproducible so I took the time today to bisect it down
to this recent commit:
29d08b3efddca628b0360411ab2b85f7b1723f48
drm/gem: handlecount isn't really a kref so don't make it one

Reverting the commit on top of current git fixes the problem. The
system has an Nvidia card and loads the nouveau driver. Current
.config is attached.

Marc