Re: [GIT PULL] one writeback regression fix for .36

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Wed Oct 06 2010 - 14:44:09 EST

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 07:31:24PM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
> Eh... I'm no fonder of that than you are (and strcmp is fucking stupid),
> but... that thing is really sb_is_blkdev_sb() trying to make a comeback
> in fs/fs-writeback.c. IOW, it's sick, but not for the reasons you are
> mentioning; strcmp() use is trivially removable.

The alternative basically is exporting bd_type so that it can be used
here and comparing ->s_type. The real problem is that right now the
internal block device filesystem is the only one having more than one
backing device per filesystem. I have patches to generalize that, which
is something we'll need for writeback performance on large filesystem
sooner or later. I was planning to get this ready for 2.6.37, but if
you prefer no big chance in this area I can calm down and move other
things up on my TODO list.